Chronicling my solo journey to the Sturgis motorcycle rally

Chronicling my solo journey to the 70th annual Sturgis motorcycle rally

Welcome!

Thank you for sharing in my road trip to the Mecca of American Motorcycling, the Black Hills Rally in Sturgis, SD.

You can read all the entries by clicking on the links in the Blog Archive below.

Please feel free to leave your comments as well.

Enjoy!

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Route...


Here is a map showing an approximation of my route.

I call it an approximation because I've never been so anal as to stick rigidly to a plan when it made more sense to change it. I reserve the right to modify my route based on time, temperature, inclement weather, wildlife, and whatever appears to be wherever the front wheel points.

What the hell, any way you slice it, its my trip


The first two days are +/- 375 miles each. I'll vary the route based on temperature. If it's too hot in the valley, I'll head for the higher country, a little slower going but 5-10 degrees cooler.

Alturas, CA is my likely first overnight at any cheapo motel I can find, then on to Boise, ID where I have a reservation at the Courtyard downtown. I'll be having dinner with a friend, then back to the hotel to hit the jacuzzi before turning in.

From there on, the route becomes a little more flexible and the mileage a bit less demanding. At 150-250 miles per day I can take my time, do some sidetrips, take lots of pictures, and sample road food at any place that looks interesting as I work my way through the Tetons and Yellowstone.

I plan to arrive in Sturgis on August 6th, set up camp,  check the place out and learn the lay of the land before the big crunch of bikes roll in on the weekend.

More to follow...




No comments: