Chronicling my solo journey to the Sturgis motorcycle rally

Chronicling my solo journey to the 70th annual Sturgis motorcycle rally

Welcome!

Thank you for sharing in my road trip to the Mecca of American Motorcycling, the Black Hills Rally in Sturgis, SD.

You can read all the entries by clicking on the links in the Blog Archive below.

Please feel free to leave your comments as well.

Enjoy!

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The new technology of the Open Road

In the old days, we used to tie our sleeping bags to the bars and head out to wherever the front wheel pointed. Today, I'm into certain creature comforts and modern comveniences that will make the trip with me.

First off, since I'm blogging, I need a way to post, so I'm packing a 10.1 inch HP 1100 mini notebook with a Sprint Air card, and a solar charger that works on my I-Pod and cell phone. Between the card and WiFi at every McDonalds and Starbucks I should be able to post daily updates.

Next is a Garmin Zumo 550 GPS navigator, programmed to my intended route. It's made specifically for motorcycles, waterproof and vibration resistant. Yes, I know how to read a paper map but they're really hard to handle when you're rolling down the road at 65 MPH and they tend to get soggy in the rain.




The Zumo connects via Bluetooth to my cell phone and Blue Ant F4 waterproof headset which attaches to my helmet and allows me hands free (Because I only have two!) communication. It also shows all the Harley Dealerships along my route in case I need a part or repair and a number of major hotels that can be dialed via a touch of the screen if I need to make or change a reservation on the fly.

I'll also be carrying a new camera, A Leica V-lux 20. I bought it for it's versatility and compact size. It has a zoom lens that is equivalent to a 25-300 on a 35mm. It's small enough to fit in my shirt pocket and easily fits in my windshield bag ready for quick deployment. I'm not intending to shoot for publication on this trip, so I can leave my heavy gear at home. The little Leica is more than adequate to produce images that will provide a visual record of my trip and maybe a memorable print or two.


I'm packing two extra batteries that should give me the capablity to shoot 750-900 frames without stopping to charge. That should be plenty to cover the activities at the rally and the scenic rides through the Black Hills.

More to follow...

No comments: