Chronicling my solo journey to the Sturgis motorcycle rally

Chronicling my solo journey to the 70th annual Sturgis motorcycle rally

Welcome!

Thank you for sharing in my road trip to the Mecca of American Motorcycling, the Black Hills Rally in Sturgis, SD.

You can read all the entries by clicking on the links in the Blog Archive below.

Please feel free to leave your comments as well.

Enjoy!

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Yellowstone Part Deux and Beartooth Pass

Well, something just ddidn't seem right.

After all, how can you go to Yellowstone and not see large wild animals or geothermal areas?

So I rolled out this morning and headed backk towards Cody and back up into the park. It was 100 miles out of my way but it just seemed to be the best not to leave the Yellowstone dilemma unresolved.

Large game animal:



Geothermal Site:


NOW I don't feel cheated.

I drove through the pass out the Northeast gate, just outside of Cooke City, MT. There were some threatening clouds up ahead...


So, discretion being the better part of valor, I waited in Cooke City over an excellent bowl of chili here...









After lunch, it was back on the road, headed for the Beartooth Highway.














Always keeping a close eye on the ever-changing weather as I climbed the winding highway to the nearly 11,000 ft. summit.






Here are a few shots taken at or near the top...




































Finally, just below the summit, we crossed into Montana for the third and final time...


Looking back to the west as I switchbacked doun the other side, I saw these "God-beams" shining through the clouds.




At the bottom of the hill is the delightful litle town of Red Lodge. I fell in love with the place when I first drove through it three years ago. Perhaps you can get an idea why...


Then it was hammer down for Billings and a good night's rest.

Tomorrow it's Little Bighorn and Devils Tower, then hole up in Deadwood for the night and roll into Sturgis on Saturday Morning.

No comments: